Tuesday, April 17, 2007

More royalty!

Hi!

This is what I did today!

My last post was about royalty, today I had another 'royalty day'! In december I (or rather St. Nicholas) gave my mom 2 tickets to a guided tour of Paleis Soestdijk (Soestdijk Palace). This is the palace where our Queen mom Juliana and her husband prince Bernhard lived during the years they were married. They both passed away in 2004 and from 2007 the palace and the gardens are open to the public (for a periode of 3 years, in the mean time a new destination for the palace has to be found).


As I child I passed this palace many times. When we headed for a walk in the nearby forest of Lage Vuursche or when we were just touring the area by car on a Sunday afternoon. My brother and I (and I guess also my mom, lol) were always curious if the royal family was home, this was indicated by the royal flag on top of the palace. If the flag wasn't there, the royal family was not in the palace. Also on Queensday there were parades in the gardens of the palace, they were broadcasted on television, I don't think I ever missed one!

Reason enough to be curious to see the interior of the palace, so we had a guided tour today. It was very interesting to see everything and hear the stories about the royals that have lived here. Also interesting to see that Queen Juliana moved in in 1937, had new furniture then and hadn't changed a bit of furniture since then. Personal things have been removed by the royal family but some furniture is still there.


It will be difficult to decide what the next destination will be for this palace. Now that I have seen the interior I cannot imagine Willem-Alexander and Máxima living there with their 3 daughters. A LOT would have to be changed to modernize it!

After I came home from the tour and running some errands, I hodge podged! Or I tried! I saw this on Traci and Gina's Hodge Podge Blog and contest no. 2 is up so I entered this one:







Credits can be found here
This is all for now, going to pick up the kids from daycare!


4 comments:

ymA said...

I would love to go in the palace. How fun! Have a great day.

Petra said...

Sounds like you had a great day with your mom...sounds fun to go there one time and visit...while it still can! LOL

Great job on the hodge podge challenge here and also had to enter...

((hugs))

Ellen, said...

Oh yeah... I do remember those parades on Queensday ;) We used to watch them on tv. Love our layout.
(I have to check out that hodge podge... )

Nicole said...

Today I saw your blog for the first time, very nice lay-outs!!

Great to have an active scrapper on hyves again....It was very very quiet there lately....